Thursday, June 30, 2011

All in a Day

I see a lot of interesting or even heartbreaking things within a day at the hospital. Here's a sample of things I witnessed just today...

Caring for crazies - a patient in intensive care sat in her bed mumbling on and on, words that were seldom coherent. Her hands and feet restrained, she began kicking the foot of the bed fiercely in an attempt to escape. Her nurse was able to calm her thankfully. I couldn't help but think that in former times people would have assumed such a person was possessed. Today though, we have more knowledge of things like mental disorders, drug withdraw, ect.

Letting nature take its course - a patient was brought into the ICU from another floor. His health was failing and the doctors realized there was little more they could do. I watched as a family member signed a waiver agreeing to "let nature take its course".

The man with the robot voice - I was a bit startled when I heard a very distinct tin-sounding robot voice coming from the hall. Peering out of the room I had been cleaning, I saw that the sound was indeed coming from a patient. There was obviously something wrong with his throat or vocal cords. He would press a device to his mouth that transmitted the vibrations into actual sound, though the result sounded very artificial. First thought, I'm so glad I have my voice. Second thought, it's wonderful they've created devices like that to help people.

Begging and sobbing - I heard and saw a woman running through the hall, talking on her cell phone and sobbing loudly. She was talking to her mother apparently (not that I was eavesdropping, but seriously everyone could hear). It wasn't a show. It was the sound of true despair and distress. Stuff like that always pulls at my heart, especially when there's nothing I can do about it.

Well...tomorrow is office day so it shouldn't be as exciting. However, that's actually okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment