Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Tale of Two Doctors

I was working in the ER recently and it reminded me of my own trip to the ER some months back. I strained my shoulder while working and they sent me down to the ER to have it checked out. I was sitting there in pain and Doctor A (as they will be here called) walked in, except I had no idea this was the doctor since she didn't introduce herself to me. She came over asked me some questions, had me test the mobility of my arm, took some notes and left. Her manner was very matter-of-fact, no smile, just right to business. I found her manner somewhat rude because here I was close to tears from the pain and she seemed to almost discredit that it was at all serious.

A short time later, Doctor B (some names have been changed :P) came in. He greeted me with a warm smile, gently shook my hand and told me exactly who he was. He inspected my injured shoulder, carefully feeling the muscles and asking questions to find where the pain was. Afterward, he told me that it was most likely a muscle strain and what care should be taken to let it heal. His gentle voice and kind manner instantly put me at ease. I was reassured at knowing exactly who he was and what he was going to do. He explained exactly what was wrong and what could be done so I would feel better. Now, who of you out there would prefer Doctor B over Doctor A?

Well, at first thought, my instant reaction was, "Absolutely, Doctor B!" But thinking back I realized, maybe I was being too harsh with Doctor A.
I mean, sure she might not have the people skills the Doctor B had, but could she still be a good doctor? Perhaps she is very intelligent, accurate in making diagnoses and writing orders...she does her job well. I'm sure hospitals would love to hire doctors with great people skills who leave great impressions on their patients. But not all doctors are like that. Some doctors are just hired because they know their stuff and they do what they have to do well. I mean seriously, if I'm lying on the operating table, am I gonna care if the surgeon is giving me a friendly smile? No! All I'm really gonna care about is that he knows what he's doing and he can do it accurately. I guess people skills are a plus, but not a job requirement.

3 comments:

  1. Personally I still think Dr. B would be my choice. Having been at the "lying on the table" spot several times - the demeanor of the Dr. can really calm your fears just before you go under. Actually you see and talk to the Dr just before going in and its the others in the room prepping you that really help the nerves. All in all tho you gave me alot to think about as we really want our Drs. to know totally what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, and I agree with Ladyquilt too. But I would want a nice Dr. who knew what he/she was doing. So is there a Doctor C that has both qualities? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sometimes woman can be a little less compassionate to others pain then men can be. Sometimes we have to endure quite a bit and don't always get to just go lay down and rest, or whatever, we have to work through whatever it is. So when someone else comes to us with something, a part of us might be saying, "This person needs to just suck it up and deal with it, after-all I have." Men though seem to all be pretty big babies about pain and discomfort so I think they tend to treat other people more nicely. lol But that's just my observation, I could be totally wrong.

    And I will also say it sounds like you saw this one doctor for a single very brief period. It's hard to get a full handle on her personality and demeanor from that single run in. It could be for someone about to face surgery she'd act differently. Or there could have been a reason for how she behaved just then.

    And as far as surgery goes, it depends. I remember nothing of the personality of the dentist who removed my wisdom teeth. I was asleep and it didn't really matter. For my C-section I remember quite clearly, since I was awake, that the Doctor and Anesthesiologist (OMG I spelled that right on the first try!!!!) were both very very nice, especially the Anesthesiologist. He was down by my head the whole time and trying to keep me calm and comfortable during the surgery.

    I guess above all else I want competence, but total package is best of course. I'm with Katie, can't we have a Doctor C? lol

    ReplyDelete